Painting Safety Notes
Pratice Safety While Painting
Safety Precautions for Painters
- It is essential to use the right gear while painting including safety goggles, mask, respirator, and gloves to prevent yourself from inhaling harmful fumes, dust or substances or getting paint on your exposed body parts while sanding or painting.
- Be very careful while using the ladders, and keep the ratio of placing the ladder correctly in mind. Each time the ladder rises for 3 feet, it should be placed one foot from the wall of the building. Ensure that the ladder is well-balanced and keep both your feet and at least one hand grip on it while painting, always.
- While opting for spray painting, ensure that the pressure inside the gun is not too much and release it gently and then proceed. Also, protect the eyes from over-spray.
- Beware of any electrical wires in the nearby area before even moving the ladder for painting. It is best to use fiberglass ladders if electric wires are in close proximity to avoid electrocution; but they can be heavier.
- Use footwear that would protect your feet in case of any accidents or while climbing up and down the ladder. Make sure your shoes don’t have metal or steel plates or buckles.
- Wash your hands properly before eating or drinking as not to ingest toxic substances.
- Avoid wearing nylon or plastic clothing as these materials are the conductor of static electric current.
- Wash off paint or varnish residue immediately from your hands only with soap and water. These can soak into your bloodstream through your skin.
Other Safety Precautions
- Avoid painting jobs in rough weather condition like rain or thunderstorm. Rain can cause slipping accidents and thunderstorms can cause electrocutions. Windy weather conditions can also be difficult for painting jobs as they will splatter paint everywhere which can be dangerous.
- Don’t opt for paints with high VOC (volatile organic compounds) content as it can cause toxic effects on one’s health.
- Keep paint away from fire or heat source as they can be inflammable.